Throughout the years, MuttSchool has played a pivotal role in educating people on how to train dogs effectively and humanely. We have not only strived to be leaders in our field but also encouraged our employees to continue their education and test for professional certifications. The result is astonishing: MuttSchool has produced 22 Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) and four CPDT-Knowledge and Skills Assessed. This level of certification is unparalleled in the industry and underscores our commitment to providing the best training services available—even to our employees!
At MuttSchool, we take immense pride in our commitment to nurturing and educating our employees, and the benefits of this approach extend far beyond our training center. With over 35 years of dog training experience, our owner and lead trainer, Mary, has crafted a comprehensive curriculum that equips our team to excel in their roles while concurrently assisting our clients and their canines. Our unique training model doesn’t just stop at providing exceptional service; it empowers our clients with the knowledge and skills to solve behavioral challenges while enhancing their bond with their pups.
The extraordinary success stories we’ve witnessed are a testament to the effectiveness of our training programs. Several of our clients have progressed through our classes with their own dog, or came to us, struggling with a behavioral challenge, and fell in love with dog training. Subsequently, they joined our team, ultimately achieving CPDT certifications, and even furthering their education through workshops, seminars, and continuous learning opportunities. Even when we’ve had employees relocate, these exceptional individuals have continued their careers in the dog training field, spreading the knowledge and expertise they first gained at MuttSchool to dog owners far and wide.
Our commitment to ongoing education is what sets MuttSchool apart, allowing us to offer some of the highest quality training services in the industry.
How can we claim this?
CPDT-KA and CPDT-KSA certificants must recertify every 3 years, by accumulating the needed continuing education units. Our trainers stay up to date on the latest developments in dog training, behavior, and related fields by actively participating in workshops, attending seminars, and engaging in ongoing education programs. This commitment to continuous learning ensures that our team remains at the forefront of the ever-evolving world of dog training, providing our clients with the most effective and humane training techniques available.
As an example, one of our CPDT-KSAs recently re-certified with an impressive 52 CEU credits, surpassing the required 36, in a 3-year period.
Both, education and experience lie at the core of our philosophy at MuttSchool. We believe in the enduring value of learning and continuous improvement, and our diverse team of dog trainers and behavioral specialists reflect this commitment. MuttSchool trainers bring a wealth of practical experience to the table. They have worked with dogs of various breeds, ages, and temperaments, and have encountered a wide range of training challenges. This depth of experience allows them to adapt to the unique needs of your dog.
Currently MuttSchool’s staff consists of:
- Certified Professional Dog Trainers (CPDT-KSAs and CPDT-KA): Our team boasts four highly skilled trainers, with three holding CPDT-KSAs and one CPDT-KA certification, reflecting their dedication to staying at the forefront of industry standards and best practices.
- Service Dog Coaches: Two of our dedicated trainers specialize in service dog training, bringing invaluable experience and expertise to ensure the highest standards of service dog education.
- Therapy Dog Evaluators: Our team includes therapy dog evaluators who can assess and prepare dogs to work as both a visiting therapy dog or an occupational assistance dog
- AKC CGC Evaluators: You can count on our team, consisting of five current AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) evaluators. They are qualified to assess your dog for Star Puppy, CGC, CGCA, CGCU, and trick dog certifications, allowing you to obtain these prestigious national recognitions from experienced professionals.
- Instructors with Bachelor’s Degrees: Many of our instructors hold bachelor’s degrees, providing a strong academic foundation that enriches their work at MuttSchool.
- Instructors working on Master’s Degrees: Some team members are currently pursuing master’s degrees at K-State in related fields such as Animal Science and Psychology, which further enhances their expertise in dog training.
- Instructors with Master’s Degrees: Several of our instructors have earned master’s degrees and have accumulated substantial experience in their field, offering a depth of understanding that’s hard to match.
- Educators Turned Dog Experts: A few of our team members previously had careers in education before transitioning to becoming professional dog trainers.
Wellness and Behavior Focus:
- Pre-Veterinary Students and Vet Techs: Our team combines the insights of pre-veterinary students and experienced veterinary technicians, ensuring a holistic approach that addresses both your dog’s wellness and behavior.
- Fear-Free Trainer Certification: Three of our instructors hold the Fear-Free Trainer Certification, underscoring our commitment to creating a comfortable and stress-free training environment where your dog’s well-being is a top priority.
- Animal First Aid: All of our trainers take an Animal First Aid course as part of their MuttSchool on-boarding.
Specific Training Specializations:
- Puppy Specialists: Our trainers are equipped to provide specialized training for puppies, ensuring they get the best start in life with important socialization and foundational skills that set them up for success.
- Dog Sports Titleholders: Several of our dog sports instructors have titled their own personal dogs in a variety of dog sports, including agility, flyball, obedience, Rally-Obedience, Scent Work, and Barnhunt. This firsthand experience in competitive dog sports underscores their expertise in canine athleticism and training.
- Canine Fitness Trainers: A couple of our trainers have completed courses and can assist in conditioning dogs through personalized fitness programs that enhance strength, flexibility, and overall fitness of the dogs they work with.
Experts in Behavioral Modification:
Our team includes specialists with extensive experience in addressing a wide range of behavioral issues such as:
- Hyperarousal Management: We provide strategies to manage hyperarousal and help your dog stay calm and focused.
- Fear, Anxiety, and Stress Management: Our specialists work with dogs experiencing fear, anxiety, and stress, providing effective tools and techniques for a more confident and relaxed pet.
- Separation Anxiety Solutions: We offer guidance and training methods to reduce separation anxiety, ensuring your dog’s well-being when you’re apart.
- Resource Guarding Resolution: Our specialists address resource guarding concerns, helping your dog build positive associations and improved behavior around valuable items.
- Reactivity and Aggression Management: We have expertise in dealing with reactivity and aggression issues, providing tailored approaches to ensure safety and harmony in your dog’s interactions.
- Barking and Vocalization Control: We specialize in reducing excessive barking and vocalization, helping dogs communicate more effectively and calmly.
- Destructive Chewing Prevention: We offer strategies to address destructive chewing behaviors, ensuring your dog’s safety and protecting your belongings.
- House-Soiling and Potty Training: Solutions for house-soiling issues and effective potty training techniques for puppies and adult dogs.
- Compulsive Behavior Management: Guidance in managing and reducing compulsive behaviors such as excessive licking, tail chasing, or pacing.
- Leash Reactivity Training: Specialized training for dogs that exhibit reactivity while on a leash, ensuring enjoyable and stress-free walks.
- Counter Surfing and Begging Control: Training to curb unwanted behaviors like counter surfing and begging during mealtime.
- Jumping and Excitability Reduction: Techniques for addressing jumping on people and overexcitement in social situations.
- Territorial Behavior Management: Strategies to manage territorial behaviors, ensuring a peaceful coexistence with other animals or people.
- Phobia and Noise Sensitivity Management: Expertise in managing and reducing phobias and noise sensitivities, such as fear of thunderstorms or fireworks.
- Diverse Range of Experience: We take pride in having a diverse range of dog trainers with experience working with dogs ranging from 4 to 35 years. This diversity ensures that our clients and their dogs benefit from a wealth of practical knowledge and expertise.
- Our diverse team includes members with language proficiencies, including a native German speaker, and two native Spanish speakers.
Contributors to professional publications
- Published Canine Expert: One of our trainers has made significant contributions to several canine publications and websites, sharing their expertise and insights with a broader audience, further demonstrating their dedication to the field of dog training and behavior.
When it comes to finding the right dog trainer for you and your dog, it’s important to understand that not all dog trainers are created equal. In an industry where there is no formal licensing requirement for practitioners, anyone can claim to be a dog trainer and offer their services. This lack of regulation can make it challenging to discern between experienced professionals and individuals with limited expertise. That’s where MuttSchool shines – with trainers who bring years of experience, education, and CPDT-certification to the table.